Re: [opensuse] Different UID's
On 2018-06-08 15:10, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Frans de Boer <> [06-08-18 09:08]:
On 08-06-18 14:37, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Frans de Boer <> [06-08-18 06:59]:
Dear All,

Can someone explain why there is such a difference in UID's as well as
GUID's between leap 15 and Tumbleweed?

I use multiple OSen, but all use the same data disks for none OS bounded
data. For instance, I use one common data directory for use of Qemu with
the
group KVM. But under leap KVM is group 488 and under Tumbleweed 478, which
makes it impossible to use the data sets without changing the GUID every
time. This is just one example, there are many more.

iiuc, the levels are determined by the security level.

look at yast -> security -> Miscellaneous Setting
file permissions

Sorry, that's not an answer I can use. I do not want to thinker with file
permissions - I have them set to secure to disallow unauthorized
users/processes. I just want consistency in (G/U)ID's across different
distributions from the same source.
Now I have to revert to renumbering the concerned (G/U)ID's to something in
the 800 range to avoid constant 'chown -R :xxx <path>'. Yes, I hope that
they keep away from that range so I can have my own fixed (G/U)ID's for
special cases.

btw, iiuc?? I speak English, not turbo "something".

google it!

No, IMO this question needs a dev that made that choice explaining it.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.