Re: [opensuse] zypper dup very busy defragging btrfs, when there is nobtrfs partition...
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2018 16:53:29 +0200
On 8 June 2018 at 16:29, Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 08/06/18 06:18 AM, Peter Suetterlin wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:

On 07/06/18 10:43 AM, Per Jessen wrote:

probably to understand that filesystem?

If that is the case and that is hard wired into GParted then I think there
is a
bug in the architecture of the modularity of GParted. This my be
sufficient but
it it is not necessary.

TBH, I would really be pissed off if I installed GParted, try to run it on my
system - only to get (at best) an info box telling me 'Oh, for *this* to work
you also have to install <bla>....'

GParted is a toolbox, and I don't want to buy every wrench in that box
separate. Because the moment you need it will be the one the shop is closed
(i.e., you're not online to get that package) ....

I don't think that will happen, certainly not if you use Yast or Zypper to
install GParted.
As far as I can see looking at the package spec, there are mandated
dependencies. When you install GParted using YastZypper it will drag in those
other "wrenches" whether you like it or not, whether you use those file
systems
or not.

THAT is what I object to.
If the installer was smart enough to recognise what file systems ytou did have
configured and brought those "wrenches" in, that another matter.

If you start using another file system then I would expect that in order to
administer it you would bring in the necessary toolbox to support it, and that
includes what GParted would see the wrenches now needed.

Surely the RPM system has this capability? Surely dependencies aren't an all
or
nothing matter?

I do see your point about not always being online, but then again, wearing my
sysadmin hat, I can't see starting to use a new type of FS without the
supporting tools to manage it. And I don't see why things I'm never going to
use are forced upon me.

What scares me is that logical consequence of mandating stuff like this, even
if
it is never going to be used, is that it is going to be simpler to just load
everything in all the repositories that you have configured, regardless.

gparted requires a whole bunch of tools regardless of whether or not
they're used by a system
e2fsprogs
xfsprogs
jfsutils
hfsutils
nilfs-utils
ntfsprogs
btrfsprogs

If you removed all of them gparted would be rather useless..

And there is no magic RPM dependency flag that lets RPM psychically
know all the filesystems that you have (or more importantly, going to
have) on your system

Especially in the era of NAS', SANs' and software defined storage
where block devices (with whatever filesystems contained within) could
be dissapearing and reappearing at a whim

Your 'sysadmin hat' sounds old and moth eaten - we're in more and more
of a devops world where a single sysadmin is unlikely to be in total
control of what their developers & users are connecting to your
servers, VMs, cloud guests, or containers.

I think in that case it most certainly makes good sensible engineering
sense to have a system that could handle all supported filesystems

And in the case of btrfs, it's the default and the recommended for the
root filesystem for openSUSE, so it would be insane to make it an
optional dependency even if there was magic RPM filesystems-in-use &
filesystems-in-future flags