Re: [opensuse] Re: how to enable display power saving on virtual consoles
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2018 07:37:53 +0200
L A Walsh wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
L A Walsh wrote:

Anyway -- I thought VGA supported power-saving (?) but maybe
not?

It does. The 3 monitors we have in the datacentre are all VGA.

And they all go into power-saving mode when @ the linux
console? (i.e not in a graphics or GUI mode)?

Yep, when I am able to enable it. Two are LCDs, one an ancient Dell
CRT :-)

Cuz never have seen my console turnoff.

With recent openSUSE versions, it is off by default.

The linux console has code:
ESC [ 14 ; n ] Set the VESA powerdown interval in minutes.

They don't specify any equivalent for VGA. :-(

The above is also for VGA, surely? It's the ansi escape sequence spewed
out by setterm.

If it works for you, how do you specify the timeout?

with setterm - e.g.

setterm -powersave on -blank 5 -powerdown 5

(which doesn't work everywhere).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.7°C)