Re: [opensuse] What is so special and non-standard about Leap 15.0 network stack dhcpv4 client wise?
On 06/04/2018 01:23 PM, cagsm wrote:
How is this even possible? The igd assigns 'same' ipv4 addresses on
the LAN by taking the MAC address of the LAN clients into
consideration. In fact, this is the only thing that the igd talks
about how it were to identify the LAN clients. Still, there must have
been some more stuff that was beyond the visibility of the igd
userinterface (web interface) that was taken into account, as all the
port forwardings were not valid and did not reach this Leap 15.0
client at all, although everything was fine when the Leap was stil at
43.2 level.

Obviously the MAC address has not changed at all, and the igd config
was selected to maintain a virtually static ipv4 LAN wise, but it
didnt.

I remember somewhere along the line in the 4.xx kernels someone
thought it was smart to randomize mac addresses. Some overly
cautious code to prevent you from being tracked as you walked into
a department store, and their router noticed a mac it could
trace across the net or some equally outlandish situation.

Supposedly only for wifi, I know this became a problem for
cat 5 connections too.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager#Configuring_MAC_Address_Randomization

Google this: disable mac address randomization
and you will see this hit every distro out there.

So: then I have to ask: ARE you POSITIVE your mac remains the same for the
entire session?

Also, IGDs ping an IP before they issue it, even with a reservation in place for
a specific mac address. If they get a response they won't issue that IP, they
will
issue a different one. Add to that the mac randomization issue and you have a
perfect mess.

Like I said this SHOULD not affect wired networks, but I've seen it do so
myself.

Seems like once you get it set, it sticks. But its maddening.