Re: [opensuse] Leap 15.0 woes -- fresh install
On 06/04/2018 04:38 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 06/04/2018 07:47 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Yeah, I've been caught a few times like this. When did this start,
instead of just tab-completing with all and any available files? Is it
customisable?
Yes.

See /usr/share/bash-completion/*, and in this case,
"/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/tar". Once bash knows that the
command is "tar" it applies that configuration, and only looks for tar
files.

So much for tab-completion just working...

It seems to me it would make a whole lot more sense just to default to
traditional "all" tab-completion. Then if some power-user wants to tweak the
tab-completion to his liking, the feature is there.

That would seem to make more sense than defaulting to some custom
tab-completion config that doesn't actually do tab-completion unless you have
the DOS type extension right.

This reliance on file "extensions" seems to fly in the face of Linux simply
having "files". A decade or so ago there was a thorough discussion of why
Linux tools don't rely on file extensions for functionality. This was touted
as being superior to the myriad of 'file-associations' used by windows.

So if I have this straight now, our tab-completion now rejects that mindset
and has reverted to using the DOS type extensions to govern whether
completions are provided?

That's a head-scratcher, but..., umm... OK.

systemd-bash-completion is one of the first things I remove and make taboo. I much prefer the old behavior.

Mark