Re: [opensuse] Leap 15.0 woes -- fresh install
On 4 June 2018 at 07:32, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Darryl Gregorash wrote:

I'll try to be polite for this ;)

why do I have to run chrony? why can I not use a decent NTP client,
and be able to configure it in Yast?

You don't have to, just deselect chrony and select ntp, but you'll have
to configure your ntp manually. I don't know the reasoning for the
switch to Chrony. I'm also sticking to ntp.

Chrony is infinitely more flexible and reliable in real world
scenarios where network connectivity is not always guaranteed

Laptops, cluster nodes, containers, VMs, systems with software defined
networks, all benefit from chrony and all risk serious disruption with
ntpd when networks go wrong and ntpd fails to handle it gracefully

Nothing wrong with sticking with ntpd as an informed choice but a good
default works in more scenarios in the real-world than the
alternatives

That is something which is unquestionably true with chrony vs ntpd