Re: [opensuse] KGPG : Serious fault
On 2018-06-02 18:29, ellanios82 wrote:
On 02/06/18 17:45, John Andersen wrote:
On June 2, 2018 4:55:08 AM PDT, ellanios82 <ellanios82@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02/06/18 14:48, Aaron Digulla wrote:
On 06/02/18 10:55, ellanios82 wrote:
   Unhappily the error persists :

Decryption : upon entering password , error message appears

    saying "Decryption failed" , but , there is a tiny box for
"Details"  : upon opening details , full-page , there appears

entire text file in Decrypted Plain Text
Try to open the (supposedly) "encrypted" file in a text editor. Maybe
it's really not encrypted at all.
  - thank you kindly : yes , had a look , is IS Encrypted

  regards

    ellan

Serious fault seems to boil down to an erroneous error message.

FTR I don't see this here.  Encryption and decryption both work.

Some software has taken to throwing warnings when weak keys were used
(1024bits).  My tests were run with much stronger keys. But I don't
remember seeing such warnings from kgpg.

- thank you kindly .

  - my key is , i believe , a strong one

Team-Spokesperson kindly suggested that 'zypper dup'

 might fix probs : will do my weekly zypper dup on Sunday  : keeping
fingers crossed .

Have you tried other applications to decipher the file? KGPG is not the
only one.

For plain text files I found that emacs is one of the best:

emacs encrypted_text_file.gpg

it asks for the password and opens it, never saving an open copy on
disk. The "gpg" extension on the file name is important, emacs uses it
to know it has to act in a particular way.

And no, I don't really like emacs, but this is well done. Probably "vi"
does something similar, I don't know.

As your desktop environment is XFCE, it is perhaps easier to use Gnome
tools.

(side note: I just found out the Whisker Menu is configurable, and that
pressing '#' you get man pages). The bad news is that they display on a
terminal).

Ok, settings, Session and startup, advanced tab. Make sure that "Launch
Gnome services on startup is enabled". Also, you might want to
experiment with "Launch KDE services on startup", if you want to use
KGPG. Kleopatra is associated with it, if I remember correctly.

In Gnome, the tool is "seahorse". Its purpose is not to handle text
files, but to manage keys.

Now that I remember, there were problems in XFCE desktop on how to
handle "remembering" keys. This was supposed to be handled by a gnome
service, but this one stopped caching pgp keys around Leap 42.2. Maybe
does not apply to TW.

Double click on an encrypted file.gpg inside Thunar produces a
deciphered copy.

For just handling keys, Thunderbird has a very good handler.

And then, there are of course the command line tools, gpg and others.
Not so comfortable, but they do just what you ask them to do ;-)

All of the above I tested at writing time with Leap 42.3. There can be
differences with TW.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.