Re: [opensuse] Idiot Question about Btrfs
On 2018-06-02 13:07, Richard Brown wrote:
On 2 June 2018 at 13:01, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

100 GB is overkill. 50 GB is enough, IME.

My rule of thumb is at least three times as much as "/" has in use. As
mine has 66 GB now, I would need at least 198 GB btrfs root partition. I
don't see 100 GB as overkill for typical user. :-}

And planing for the future, as repartitioning an existing hard disk is a
chore, I would make that even bigger. Me, I would allocate 500 GB on a 4
TB rotating rust disk.

Once upon a time, I thought that a 200 MB /boot partition was ample
enough. It wasn't, after some years...

A separate /boot partition can be more harmful than beneficial these
days; for example on openSUSE distributions it prevents the use of
boot-to-snapshot features which are really nice to have by default

I see you didn't catch the intended irony :-)

I said "once upon a time", ie, long ago. At a time when /boot was
needed. It was just an example of "this size is big enough", proven
wrong later. Not to be taken as "use /boot separate partition", but as
"50 GB is ample enough for '/'". Well, it is now...

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.