Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Mailinglist changes going forward
On 2 June 2018 at 07:38, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 31/05/18 22:00, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [05-31-18 07:50]:

On 2018-05-31 13:44, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [05-31-18 05:55]:
[...]

So well, lets have "opensuse-support" to post those questions that
before were asked on "opensuse-factory". Will developers be there to
answer our questions, or just plain users and a few volunteers?

most likely, if that list contains meee2s and long discussions about why
SUSE doesn't allow access to certain bug reports and if the next version
will be names Jump, and what windows might do in this case, you will not
see any dev's there. why would they waste their time sorting thru
mountains of cruff for a few small crumbs? do you stay subscribed to
lists where 95% of the conversation is irrelivant to your interests?

Can you promise that there will be devs there, even if those things you
say don't happen?

no one can promise either but the likehood of them being present given the
same conditions is very low. what would you do? you steer clear of the
dog that bites, or your intelligence is questionable.

You know, Patrick, one of the great cliches being flogged to death here is
"developers".

Who are these "developers" who are supposed to inhabit this list?

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a list somewhere of these "developers" and
showing which area of expertise they are interested in/developing.

I am not saying this with any other intent except to actually have and look
at a list of these persons, to "put a face to a name" so to speak.

Having read the list of "developers" it is then easier to mentally visualise
that my question or observation or comment or opinion may be or will be read
by <name of a real human person> and not by some mysterious entity called
"developer" -- you know what I mean.

Basil, I don't think you realise just how silly your request is

There is no way that any one person can realistically put a 'face to a
name' for all of openSUSE's developers

Counting them is hard, but let me give you some figures I can find
quickly to give you some idea of the scope

Statistics from OBS in 2017 (so a year out of date)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjnsskKgL6U

Users of build.opensuse.org - 46891
Number of Build service submit requests in general - 515385
Number of Build service requests to openSUSE:Factory - ~160000
Number of source packages in openSUSE:Factory - 10762
Number of code checkins per day - ~2900
Number of packags being branched per day - ~300

Other things to consider
Developers with direct commit access to 1 or more projects on
github.com/openSUSE - 293
NOTE: Many more people contribute to openSUSE Projects via pull
requests and so are not counted in this number, and that's not
counting other openSUSE Projects on github like YaST and openQA.

Current openSUSE Membership - 403, many of whom got there by their
developer contributions

According to research by Google, the human brain can handle about 150
"weak tie relationships", or people you can actually remember

the active, daily, openSUSE developer community making changes to the
software you love is significantly larger than 150

They need somewhere to be able to talk about big issues that impact
the work they're doing.
That is the intended purpose of opensuse-factory@xxxxxxxxxxxx.