Re: swapping vs paging (was "Re: [opensuse] Get an SSD ...")
Wol, et al --

...and then Wols Lists said...
%
% On 30/11/17 03:14, Carlos E. R. wrote:
% >
% > On Thursday, 2017-11-30 at 00:21 -0000, Wol's lists wrote:
% >
% >> On 29/11/17 23:58, Carlos E. R. wrote:
% >>> When I used Windows 3 (call it swap or whatever, does not matter), of
% >
% >> Sorry. It DOES matter. Or do you want to live in a humpty-dumpty world
% >
% > It doesn't matter AT ALL.
%
% What DIFFERENCE it makes, I have no idea, but the underlying techniques
% are fundamentally different.

Come on, you guys. You're both right. At the non-technical level where
we're grossly multiplying by two and wondering why, they're the same
thing (transferring between primary and secondary storage). At the
technical level where we care about the mechanics of processes running
and how they are managed, they are different things, not least because
they are in different OSes.

I doubt that anyone smart enough to care about the difference is going
to design a new OS from Carlos's casual definition and be confused into
using the wrong method; I also doubt that anyone as dumb as I am is going
to truly appreciate the subtle flavoring between the two and always use
the write nomenclature. It's either running or not, and whether it's
"swapped out" or "paged out" in the latter case is immaterial to the
unwashed masses.

Happy Holidays

:-D
--