Re: swap = 2 * RAM (was "Re: [opensuse] Get an SSD ...")
Carlos, et al --

...and then Carlos E. R. said...
%
% On Wednesday, 2017-11-29 at 15:16 -0500, David T-G wrote:
%
% >...and then Wol's lists said...
% >%
% >% On 29/11/17 14:12, Carlos E. R. wrote:
% >% >The rule of "twice the ram" was a Windows 3 rule. And it was a
% >% Try running a *vanilla* early 2.4 series kernel with swap == ram. As
% >% soon as the system even *touches* swap IT WILL CRASH.
% >[snip]
% >
% >In fact, try running a nice old SunOS 4.0 UNIX or, I think (but am not
% >sure) even classic ATT v7. The 2x rule is *very* old.
% >
% >It was explained to me as the system first loading into memory a copy
% >of the executable and then running it from there, ostensibly to avoid
%
% I never heard of that static and running copies theory. Certainly
% not true for Windows 3.
[snip]

Yeah, that was from a UNIX context. I never did any digging into the
question, not least since I was still new and starry-eyed and trying to
wrap my head around this weird :-) UNIX stuff. It was years before I was
at the point of setting up my own first system and laying out partitions,
at which point I simply took 2x (a whole 1/2 G, if memory serves :-) like
I had "always" been told. And so the legend continued...

Happy Holidays

:-D
--
David T-G