Re: [opensuse] systemctl stop graphical.target
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 13:28:34 -0500
Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Richmond composed on 2017-11-28 18:22 (UTC):

Ricmond doesn't seem to be having much luck with his question.
I can't answer it myself but I can see some difficulties with the
proposed answers:

If I can start X with:

systemctl start graphical.target

should I not also be able to stop it again with:

systemctl stop graphical.target ?

I have found this leaves the system unusable with no virtual
console or graphical interface, so I have to reboot.

As it was with runlevels, where one ended X with 'init 3' or 'telinit
3', in systemd one switches the "target", thus: 'systemctl isolate
multi-user.target'. 'init 3' is said to be an alias to 'systemctl
isolate multi-user.target', and to switch back to X, 'systemctl
isolate graphical.target', or 'init 5'.

If 'stopping' is done by 'systemctl isolate multi-user.target', why is
'starting' done by 'systemctl isolate graphical.target'?

i.e why the difference in the target between starting and stopping?