Re: [opensuse] Get an SSD just for swap?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 15:45:26 +0100 (CET)

On Tuesday, 2017-11-28 at 10:37 -0000, Wols Lists wrote:

On 27/11/17 17:25, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
On 27 November 2017 at 17:15, Bob Williams <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think the problem of root filling up with snapshots is the fault of snapper
(an openSUSE program), not btrfs, even though the snapshotting capability is
provided by btrfs. Please don't blame btrfs for problems not of its making.

But if I don't use snapshots, what's the point of having btrfs as
opposed to ext4? And on an SSD I just don't want any snapshots. I'll
do them in other ways and onto the HDD, not SSD.

I believe btrfs does integrity checking. So if the underlying disk gets
corrupted, btrfs will give you a read error because the CRC or whatever
it is is broken.

On data or just on metadata?

I know that XFS offers it only for metadata, and they don't consider doing it for data soon. XFS and btrfs share some developers.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.