Re: [opensuse] Get an SSD just for swap?
On 27/11/17 12:25 PM, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
But if I don't use snapshots, what's the point of having btrfs as
opposed to ext4?

Isn't ext4 supposed to have snapshot capability as well?
<quote src="http://snapper.io/faq.html";>

Does snapper support ext4?

Yes, but only experimentally and you need a special kernel and e2fsprogs. For
more information see the next4 project.
Does snapper support LVM?

Since version 0.0.12 snapper can handle LVM snapshots with thin-provisioning.
See the blog Snapper and LVM thin-provisioned Snapshots.

</quote>

But that may not be the solution you are looing for:
<quote>
How can I exclude directories from snapshotting?

When you are using btrfs you can create btrfs subvolumes for the directories you
want to exclude from snapshotting. Unfortunately there is no dedicated command
to convert a directory to a subvolume.

For all filesystem types you can exclude directories from snapshotting by making
the directories mount points.
</quote>

Actually editing the config file gives you a great deal of control.