Re: [opensuse] Get an SSD just for swap?
On Monday, 27 November 2017 22:20:12 ACDT Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Sunday, 2017-11-26 at 20:48 -0500, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 26/11/17 05:18 PM, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
As this is for swap only, I can get a cheap SSD (if it breaks I just
lose one session). I can get a 32Gb SSD for about 25 Euro, while an
extra 8GB of RAM would apparently set me back more like 50 Euro. But
will this work?

In those circumstances I'd go for more memory first.
late model Linux doesn't have a hard boundary between buffer space and
program space any more, so it figures out where best to use the memory
according to circumstances.

I went the exact same route as he, and I have noticed a huge speed
improvement after placing swap on an SSD. It works, proven fact :-)

I have this instant 3.8G used swap.

Telcontar:~ # free -h
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 7.8G 3.5G 4.3G 53M 107M 899M
-/+ buffers/cache: 2.5G 5.3G
Swap: 23G 3.8G 20G

Swap is used ONLY when there isn't enough memory.

And there isn't.

I'll grant you that maybe you'll still end up with not enough memory, but
when that happens to me I've always traced it to

a) a memory leak

No leaks. Just huge programs.

b) too many open ... whatever.

And I want all that open :-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

I have 16GB RAM and no swap. I haven't had swap enabled for 4+ years. Only
once have I come close to needing it, when I had 2x Win7 instances running in
VirtualBox (1x 32bit, 1x64bit) and tried to start a WinXP VM as well,
forgetting that I already had 12GB allocated to VM's and Linux was using close
to 4GB. Normally, even with Firefox and Chrome running (yes, sometimes both,
but usually only 20 or so tabs each), I don't even come close to needing to
swap.

IMHO, if you can do it the best cure for slow swap speed is enough RAM that
the system doesn't need to swap. Ever. :)