Re: [opensuse] Get an SSD just for swap?
On 26 November 2017 at 23:17, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, by all means, get a small SSD and use it for Swap, but not only swap,
also for the main system, excluding /home.

That means I need a 64Gb SSD.

My current / is 46GB by df, but this is because of snapshots in btrfs
(which made the system fail in the middle of upgrade to 42.3 - luckily
I could recover by giving / some more space at the cost of /home - the
joys of LVM).

By du, / is about 18GB. So if I format the new / using ext4 and thus
have no snapshots. I need 32GB for / to be sure nothing will break, I
guess. And so, with swap, a 64GB SSD?

I could probably afford something like this...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DREVO-X1-Pro-2-5-Inch-Internal/dp/B074GXGV9P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511742376&sr=8-1&keywords=ssd+64+gb

It claims to have 400Mb/s read 300Mb/s write, compared to about 115
Mb/s for the existing HDD, but the latency is obviously much lower on
any SSD...

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik