Re: [opensuse] OT: Strange Idea Proof of Concept
On 23/11/17 19:44, Markus Koßmann wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 23. November 2017, 14:14:57 schrieb Paul Groves:
Someone said to me the other day that it is possible to convert a linux
install ISO, such as openSUSE, Fedora or Ubuntu and put it on floppy
disks to install from directly with no CD.

If he said, it was possible , he would have been right. Indeed over twenty
years ago in then days of kernel 1.0.x , installation from floppy disks was an
option.
But nowadays there is one major technical problem with mainstream
distributions : Todays installation systems don't fit on one bootfloppy.

But then do not forget the other later types of floppy:

2880kb (2.88MB) Extra-high Density (ED)
20385kb (21MB) Floptical Laser Servo (LS)
100MB / 250MB / 750MB Iomega Zip
120.375MB Superdisk (LS-120)
240.75MB Superdisk (LS-240)
200MB High Capacity Floppy Disk HiFD

You might just get Ubuntu server onto a single Zip 750 :)

On this topic. If anyone has any ZIP LS120 or LS240 drives or disks they no longer want I can find them a home where they will be used.
(Believe it or not some businesses and gov. bodies are still using them).