Re: [opensuse] OT: Strange Idea Proof of Concept
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 19:18:26 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2017-11-23 at 18:27 +0100, gumb wrote:
On 23/11/17 15:14, Paul Groves wrote:
Someone said to me the other day that it is possible to convert a linux
install ISO, such as openSUSE, Fedora or Ubuntu and put it on floppy disks
to install from directly with no CD.

When Windows 8 came out, I saw an image that was going viral on either Twitter or wherever, of somebody preparing to install the floppy version. There were a few boxes with a few thousand floppy disks inside, with what looked like rather plain but believable Windows 8 branding on all the labels.

Back when floppies were the norm there were automatic floppy feeders. I don't remember the exact name of the thing, but you placed a pile of flopies and it would take them in sequence automatically.

They were used to automate backups/recovers, or coupled with specialized software, to make hundreds of duplicates of a single floppy, for software sale. In this application the thing would eject bads via nother hole, and the gods got a serial number.

Here in Lyon, France, as far as I'm aware, the tramway system, inaugurated in 2001, has driver cab technology still based on Windows 3.1. It's not that many years since Microsoft ended new Windows 3.1 activations and then support of the OS altogether. Around 2001, or the couple of years before when the tramway systems here were being thrashed out, with Linux still a relative newcomer and Unix looking like it was fading away, Windows 3.1 would still have been the sort of LTS trusted reliable OS. I dearly hope they have replaced it by now but I don't know.

Someone I know was installing MsDos systems. They had paid for a development and when it came out Win 98/NT was the norm. They deployed using MsDos for groups (ie, with network support) for as long as they could, because Microsoft stoped delivery. I think he also installed Windows but booting to text mode. I don't know what they use now. I proposed freedos.

In these applications the OS and its age doesn't matter: it is a closed device, one purpose only.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.