Re: [opensuse] Where are listed modules included in initrd in Leap 42.x ?
  • From: Dennis Gallien <dwgallien@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 18:31:33 -0500
On Thursday, November 23, 2017 12:50:23 AM EST andreil1@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi !

Where are listed modules included in initrd in Leap 42.x ?

/etc/sysconfig/kernel - this file doesn’t exists at all
/etc/dracut.conf.d - not here

It depends on your system - the initrd is built to suit your system.

lsinitrd will tell you what a specific initrd contains.

Thanks, but I’m need to add some modules manually, not just get a
list.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

You can add them with '--add-drivers' to dracut. Maybe there is a
default setting for dracut somewhere. Is this still about the hpsa
module?

Yes, this is still about hpsa module.
I run "dracut --add-drivers hpsa" on another test system, then looked in
yast -> sysconfig -> kernel, hpsa still not there.

Someone from SUSE, can you please clarify where list of initrd kernel
modules moved from /etc/sysconfig/kernel ?

The list hasn't moved. If you modify the current initrd with dracut that will
not change /etc/sysconfig/kernel. That file is used as input to mkinitrd/
dracut when the initrd is generated.

If you are in a recovery mode (you didn't mention that in your first post),
then you are running from the kernel/initrd booted in that recovery
environment, not the same as your production system. If I understand you
correctly, you would need to mount your production file system (which will
also require you to "bind" several directories, IIRC /proc, /sys, /var), and
chroot into that environment. I think you should then be able modify /etc/
sysconfig/kernel and run mkinitrd, which will general a new production initrd.
I don't know if you can modify your production initrd on the fly in your
chroot environment, as Per described.