Re: [opensuse] KDE and directories
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 13:13:50 +0100
On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Dave Howorth <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As others have said, what do you mean by 'the user entering the
directory'? Do you mean accessing one or more of the files in the
directory? Or accessing a directory listing including metadata about
the files? Or simply changing working directory, or what?

When the user navigates the file system with Dolphin, they can click
on a directory. Dolphin then shows the contents of that directory.
From my POV, the user has entered the directory. I think Dolphin would
refer to this as the current working directory. There is only one
current working directory at a time. This has nothing to do with
moving around in, say, bash. It is fully limited to Dolphin. This is
why I am looking for a KDE solution. Accessing a file in a directory
is not enough either.

If the former, what if somebody accesses a file without entering the
directory (e.g. by providing a full path)? What if they access via a
symlink or a hard link? Why can't you trust the processes to update the
status information themselves?

It is not about accessing a file. It is about making the directory the
current working directory.

I'd be more tempted by a system that kept the data in directories to
which the target processes had no access and then allowed them to
access the data via a gatekeeper process that had greater access rights
and which checked whether each process's requests were kosher and maybe
logged them.

If I could, via the Desktop, limit the action to a single directory
and all it's sub-directories, I am happy. Like all directories in and
including $HOME/data would be fine.

But a search for 'linux how can i tell when a process accesses a
file' (without quotes) turns up a few interesting links, such as
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/18844/list-the-files-accessed-by-a-program

I am considering alternative approaches. But one that keeps
directories separate and self-contained is best.

--
Roger Oberholtzer