Re: [opensuse] another WD Green AV-GP HD failure [solved]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 16:05:24 +0100 (CET)

On Monday, 2017-11-06 at 14:57 -0000, Wols Lists wrote:

On 06/11/17 14:36, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Just a thought, your device doesn't use smart on the disk but smart
settings stay across resets and power cycles. Maybe if you enable
smart via smartctl the disk might take better care of itself.

No, that is not so.
SMART runs directly on the hard disk, not on the computer. It does not
depend at all on the computer.

The computer job is solely to read the collected data and display it.
A daemon may collect that data and put a big warning to the administrator.

Actually, in my experience (Seagate Barracuda), SMART settings do NOT
survive a power cycle :-(

I think the hard drive logs and stores errors, which smartctl will
display, but certainly on the Seagate anything that requires active
intervention by the drive is disabled by default on power-up and there
is no way (that I know of) to change that.

If you read the smartctl manual you see some settings that survive and some that don't.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.