Re: [opensuse] another WD Green AV-GP HD failure [solved]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 15:42:17 +0100 (CET)

On Monday, 2017-11-06 at 09:32 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
Dave Plater composed on 2017-11-06 14:36 (UTC+0200):
Felix Miata wrote:
Dave Plater composed on 2017-11-06 10:17 (UTC+0200):

enabled in fact it wasn't recognized by smartctl before I used a command
(I found in the man page and have since forgotten) to enable smart, now
it works like a normal disk with smartctl.

Those are PCs. This is a proprietary device installation. It has no apparent
"BIOS", at least, not one that is accessible for selecting various options we
are used to seeing in PC BIOS setup utilities.

Looking through the output of smartctl -x I do see smart is "enabled".

Again, SMART runs inside of the disk, not on the computer.
You can enable/disable SMART on the disk, and the setting holds across
computers.

You can enable/disable SMART on some computer BIOS. This only means that the computer will read or not the SMART data of the disk and act on that data. But again, SMART runs inside the hard disk only.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.