Re: [opensuse] another WD Green AV-GP HD failure [solved]
On 05/11/17 10:02, Felix Miata wrote:
Wols Lists composed on 2017-11-05 09:24 (UTC):

Felix Miata wrote:

Follow-up: I got the new HD installed using the image file created by
dd_rhelp.
The DVDR's title menu lists all recordings as it listed before, and makes
new
recordings successfully, but apparently dd_rhelp was more accurate with its
99.99% report than with 100.00%. The recording that the DVDR locked up
playing
has an 11 second loss/bad spot at the same place.

Yup. So you've saved everything else - good. And that'll now last
another 7 years :-

I won't know everything else is good without watching all 100+ hours in real
time. :-(

20906 hours powered up equates to only about 2.4 years of constant on.

Was that recording an old one made when the disk was nearly new? If the
DVDR couldn't read it, I'm not surprised ddrescue couldn't either. If
SMART doesn't report any problems on the drive, it should be safe to
format and re-use it - I guess the magnetism on that one block just
faded too much over time ...

Had you read the link in the post you replied to you should have noticed the
disk would have been far from new when that recording was made, possibly at
around 14426 hours or 20 months disk on time. The SD DVDR that the disk is in
offers no evidence that it employs Smart technology.

Ah. I see. But even so ...

Earlier in this thread I showed Smartctl reported 131 pending sectors and
reallocated sector count of 0. It's the second of the very same model in
identical service here, the two being manufactured less than 90 days apart. I
consider the old HD junk at this point, and likely most if not all of that
model
from that period.

imho you're throwing away a teenager of a drive ... I'll explain why.

Firstly, do you understand what a "pending relocation" is? Yup, that's
at 131, but I'd be far more concerned about that figure if it was the
"reallocated sectors" figure.

I had a look at the WD Green spec sheet. It comes with a 2-year
warranty, so yes, assuming the drive is used 8 hours a day it's probably
well outside its wall-clock warranty, but it's only been powered up just
over it.

The drive also is rated at 300K spin-up cycles. If your typical program
is 30mins, that means you've used about 40K. Just over one tenth, which
is why I describe the drive as a teenager. (And you've probably used
rather less.)

Pending relocations say absolutely nothing about the health of the
drive, although they are bad for your data ... all it means is the drive
can no longer read the sector, which could be anything from a stray
cosmic ray, to a tired recording, to a power surge moving the actuator,
to flaking oxide presaging a head crash. Anything.

Humour me. "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/wdgreen". Your pending sectors WILL
is cause for concern, but there's every likelihood they will stay at zero.

The drive cannot correct pending sectors by itself, it needs the
computer to attempt to write to them. If the write is successful, it
clears the error. If the write is unsuccessful, it relocates the sector
elsewhere (which is the point at which you start worrying about the
health of the drive).

Cheers,
Wol