Re: [opensuse] another WD Green AV-GP HD failure [solved]
On 05/11/17 05:39, Felix Miata wrote:
Follow-up: I got the new HD installed using the image file created by
dd_rhelp.
The DVDR's title menu lists all recordings as it listed before, and makes new
recordings successfully, but apparently dd_rhelp was more accurate with its
99.99% report than with 100.00%. The recording that the DVDR locked up playing
has an 11 second loss/bad spot at the same place.

Yup. So you've saved everything else - good. And that'll now last
another 7 years :-)

Was that recording an old one made when the disk was nearly new? If the
DVDR couldn't read it, I'm not surprised ddrescue couldn't either. If
SMART doesn't report any problems on the drive, it should be safe to
format and re-use it - I guess the magnetism on that one block just
faded too much over time ...

Cheers,
Wol