[opensuse] systemd, gpsd, and sockets
We are using the gpsd package as provided by openSUSE Leap 42.3. The
package comes with whatever is needed to make it work (or not work...)
with systemd.

We use serial port GPS receivers, so the udev stuff to start gpsd does
not apply. We have gpsd enabled via a call to systemctrl enable gpsd

Unfortunatly, gpsd fails to start when this is done. It complains that
the sockets it will use are busy. Which is odd because only gpsd
should start them.

The RPM comes with this file: /usr/lib/systemd/system/gpsd.socket

Which contains this:

[Unit]
Description=GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon Sockets

[Socket]
ListenStream=/var/run/gpsd.sock
ListenStream=[::1]:2947
ListenStream=127.0.0.1:2947
SocketMode=0600

[Install]
WantedBy=sockets.target

It is the 2947 ports that it complains about. If we comment these two
lines, all is fine.

So, what do these lines really mean? Is it that systemd will listen on
them, and when there is activity start gpsd? If so, that seems wrong
as that is not how gpsd works. It is running because of the systemctrl
command. As it should. It must do things like provide system time
information long before some client might attach on these ports.

Or is there something else that is wrong in the setup?

--
Roger Oberholtzer