Re: [opensuse] These packages need to be selected to install: grub2
  • From: Dennis Gallien <dwgallien@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 15:01:21 -0400
On Wednesday, November 1, 2017 12:58:47 AM EDT Felix Miata wrote:
Dennis Gallien composed on 2017-11-01 00:09 (UTC-0400):
No, I don't have grub2 on this machine. I wasn't clear enough in my
original question. I would try the DVD but it sounds like the problem
may not appear until reboot after the software has been upgraded and
there is no way back at that point. Good suggestion to taboo grub2 and
try using YaST2, I might do that.

I don't have Grub2 on any of my many openSUSE installations of TW, 42.3 or
older, though all machines are multiboot (all with generic MBR code), making
boot repair necessary very rarely, and easy to do. This I type on is one,
42.3 on RAID1, which like several others, is a direct upgrade from 42.1
using Zypper dup with Grub2 locked out via Zypper.

Online upgrade from 42.2 to 42.3 differs very little from doing ordinary
online security updates. Both even use 4.4 kernels. I start mine by first
booting to multi-user.target, logging in as root, locking the kernel,
editing the repo files in /etc/zypp/repos.d/ to point to 42.3 instead of
42.[1,2], then 'zypper ref', then upgrading only the fundamentals, via
script containing:

zypper -v in zypper libzypp libsolv-tools rpm openSUSE-release
zypper -v in device-mapper dmraid glibc lvm2 mdadm systemd udev

Only then do I follow with:

zypper -v up
zypper -v dup
zypper -v in kernel-default

This procedure has proven superbly reliable for me over several years,
probably back at least to around 11.2 or 11.3.

Interesting. Which method do you use to boot to multi-user target; does that
matter? And how do you lock the kernel from the command line; I'm not
familiar with that?

TIA,

Dennis