Re: [opensuse] Forums feeds.. Was: Being critical vs being negative
  • From: Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 13:49:47 +0100
Op dinsdag 31 oktober 2017 21:11:11 CET schreef Per Jessen:
Dave Howorth wrote:
On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 16:31:55 +0100

Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We know that this list has 1242 subscribers

This compares to the following other communities, each of which have
a broader "general discussions about openSUSE" topic by design, other
than the intended "support" focus of this list

- 4814 subscribers to the openSUSE reddit community
- 14.8 _thousand_ members of the openSUSE group on facebook
- 29.5 _thousand_ followers of the openSUSE group on Google+
- 38 _thousand_ members of the openSUSE forums
- 56.2 _thousand_ subscribers of the openSUSE feed on twitter

As I've mentioned before, I have no intention of 'doing' social media,
which rules out reddit, facebook, google & twitter for me, but I have
been a member of the forums for a number of years. I hardly ever go
there because there's just too much surface area. It's a place I dip
into if I'm looking for something specific, or in the past if I felt
like answering some questions.

Now my general approach to managing forums is to add their RSS feeds
to my RSS aggregator, so two days ago I went to the forum and asked my
aggregator to search for an RSS feed and it found
https://forums.opensuse.org/external.php?type=RSS2 so I added that.
But I went back to my aggregator today and the RSS feed hasn't been
updated. So how do I follow the forums?

AFAIR, the fora are also bi-directional gated to a news-server - maybe
news://forums.opensuse.org, I'm really not sure. Otherwise open a
report (admin@o.o) on the failing RSS function.

That's right. I activated kaggregator yesterday and ever since the forums
feeds drop in like they should.
Another way of accessing the forums is through NNTP.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team