Re: [opensuse] These packages need to be selected to install: grub2
Dennis Gallien composed on 2017-11-01 00:09 (UTC-0400):

No, I don't have grub2 on this machine. I wasn't clear enough in my original
question. I would try the DVD but it sounds like the problem may not appear
until reboot after the software has been upgraded and there is no way back at
that point. Good suggestion to taboo grub2 and try using YaST2, I might do
that.

I don't have Grub2 on any of my many openSUSE installations of TW, 42.3 or
older, though all machines are multiboot (all with generic MBR code), making
boot repair necessary very rarely, and easy to do. This I type on is one, 42.3
on RAID1, which like several others, is a direct upgrade from 42.1 using Zypper
dup with Grub2 locked out via Zypper.

Online upgrade from 42.2 to 42.3 differs very little from doing ordinary online
security updates. Both even use 4.4 kernels. I start mine by first booting to
multi-user.target, logging in as root, locking the kernel, editing the repo
files in /etc/zypp/repos.d/ to point to 42.3 instead of 42.[1,2], then 'zypper
ref', then upgrading only the fundamentals, via script containing:

zypper -v in zypper libzypp libsolv-tools rpm openSUSE-release
zypper -v in device-mapper dmraid glibc lvm2 mdadm systemd udev

Only then do I follow with:

zypper -v up
zypper -v dup
zypper -v in kernel-default

This procedure has proven superbly reliable for me over several years, probably
back at least to around 11.2 or 11.3.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/