Re: [opensuse] No network of leap 42.3
On 2017-10-21 23:32, James Knott wrote:
On 10/21/2017 04:54 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Maybe because the driver considers that resetting is the job of the
reset button.

The other problem is the "system" considering it is the only "system" in
the machine, and thus thinking that a warm reboot is proper always and
that it knows the current state of everything. That the previous running
system was the same system and thus all is in the expected state.

I've worked with computers for 4 decades, including the old mini
computers. A reset is always done as otherwise the software doesn't
know the state of the hardware.

Correct.

That said, the Windows fast boot etc.,
does not properly shut down the system. I had to turn it off on my
notebook computer. Otherwise Linux wouldn't boot.

Windows and MsDOS always had the concept of "soft reboot". I remember
being able to choose one or the other from my own programs.

But it never went so far as leaving the disk "opened", that is a new
concept in Windows.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.