Re: [opensuse] Libreofficewriter problems printing embedded inage.
  • From: Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 14:38:24 +0200
Op donderdag 19 oktober 2017 14:34:19 CEST schreef Anton Aylward:
On 18/10/17 08:25 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Ah, yes, found them. There are 10 HL-517 DN: you have to search for the
string "Brother hl-517" in YaST "add new printer Configuration" dialog.

Try them all. Just install them all with a slightly different name that
allows you to remember what driver each one uses. After you installed
them all, try them all with the same PDF page. Or the test printer
button in yast.

YaST, not CUPS setup. I insist.

I have no particular liking for Yast when it obscures what's going on.

I run 'find' and see very few PPDs in /usr/share that pertain to Brother.
And what i do see, and what I see when i pull up, as you suggest, they Yast
means of doing printer installation, seems to frighten me off.

It all seems involved in using guttenprint to convert the files to PDF for
the print chain.

Whihc gets back to my question about the conversion of the Linux printer
standard from PS to PDF.

It seems to me that there is a 'because its there' syndrome here, that
guttenrint could convert to PDF, so Yah, lets make PDF the standard.
maybe the processing load of rendering a PDF is less than the processing
load of a postscript. I don't know how that compares to HP printer
language or Epson.

But with today's printers, we are dealing with printers that readily digest
those printer languages. My printer has more memory that the laptop under
my desk with the broken screen that is my SQL server. It has as many
interfaces as my PC. The only reason it doesn't have Wifi is that it was
an option at the time, rather that the built-in standard it is for printers
now, and I saw no need. I've use it in printer cable, USB and network
modes at various times. It's a wonderful printer. Twice now, it has said
that the the drum needs replacing and twice I've reset it and it still
prints solid. I do have a spare drum for the "if-and-when".

Until this change in the way the print chain operates, forcing files to PDF
along the way, it was giving wonderful renditions. To and fro with PDF is
degrading.

There are other issues with self-editing your PPDs.

> Q: Are you sure?
>
>> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
>>
>>> Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

About the drum: take it out, gently shake it a bit, and you'll see there's
enough of the powder left......

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member