Re: [opensuse] Libreofficewriter problems printing embedded inage.
On 2017-10-18 12:30, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 18/10/17 05:41 AM, jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

if you are sure you tested all, the only remain is bugzilla (lo one)

I told you I tested all, not just from LO but from trying to print the
exported
PDF (which looks fine on the screen) using a couple of different PDF tools and
those have a quite different print dialogue from that of LO.

I don't think this a bug and what I have isn't wolf-fenced enough yet, which
is
why I'm asking questions here. If I was on phone support and had a call from
someone with only the information I have right know I'd demand more or give
up.

I have a memory that it used to be the case that UNIX and hence Linux used
Postscript as a printer interface protocol, and one of the reasons that I
bought
the Brother HL-5170DN was that it could handle Postscript directly. I also
have
a memory that for some reason I don't recall or comprehend, Linux gave up on
this and switched to PDF.

Yes.

The Brother HL-5170DN can also handle HP's printer protocol and the Epson
protocol.
Back when, and sorry I can't tie down a boundary date, the driver gave me all
three options, PS, HP and Epson. I _think_ it was when I switched to 42.1
or
42.2 that I was forced to use PDF. The printer seems to take PDF and does
text
OK, but not images.

You probably still have the other two drivers in Linux with another
name, so install them and try. I do with my printer.

Are the images you try to print big? Try wit a small photo, two
centimetres or less. If they print, it may be a memory issue.

Some big photos do not print with my printer in ps, I have to use
another driver. Reason is that ps is a language: the printer RAM has to
hold both the ps page and the raster image it generates.

Why ever did we change from PS to PDF?
If I declare that to be the bug the gung-ho developers will NOTABUG me.

It was upstream. No, I don't understand the reason, as there are
millions of native ps printers out there.

In Libre Office, printer settings, Properties button, Device tab,
Printer language button, you can choose postscript or PDF.

I have ps. But I don't know if this means it will be then converted to
pdf, and then back to ps because the printer needs ps.

How do I override the PPD?

You write another.

No, I don't know how to do that either.

Somewhere in the cups config it lists which one is in use. Search
"/etc/cups". ppd subdirectory holds them.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.