Re: [opensuse] can i dual-boot plus run Win in a VM?
On 2017-10-17 02:59, David T-G wrote:
Hi, all --

I will, soon, once again finally have my own laptop, and it's been so
long that I'm basically starting over :-)/2 I will dual boot because
there are still times when I just have to be in Windows, but I'd also
like to fire up that same copy in a VM when I just want to pop over for
a moment. Is that an option? If so, is it perhaps even possible to
wake and hibernate back and forth across metal and VM?

No.

Why?

Because Windows will think it is different hardware and will void the
license...

Besides that, the system will actually see different hardware, and will
have to adjust to it with different drivers. Linux actually does that
better than Windows, no drivers to download and install each time. But
Windows, if you have used it, you know it loves to install and reboot
and install and reboot...

About hibernating in one and restoring in another... guess? ;-)

Hint: the hibernated system expects on wakeup to find the exact same
hardware in the same configuration and status. It knows it has to
configure certain things, like the video card, in a certain way so that
it gets to the same status it was in before going to sleep. But it is
not the same video card, it is an emulated one this time. Oops!

(panic!)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.