Re: [opensuse] Fwd: Basically every WiFi device just hacked?
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 16:05:57 +0200
On 16 October 2017 at 15:52, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 9:43 AM, Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 16 October 2017 at 15:36, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All,

Most WiFi routers have WEP, WPA, and WPA2.

WPA2 was the most secure and the recommendation.

No longer:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2017/10/16/wpa2_krack_attack_security_wifi_wireless/

But WPA2 comes in a couple variants. Does anyone know if any of them
are unaffected?

Thanks
Greg

I don't know, but I do know that SUSE are working on providing us fast
updates for SLE (which Leap will get equally fast) and Tumbleweed

So this may be addressable on the client end? I hope so!

Greg

I believe for absolute safety it needs to be addressed at every end -
which is pretty scary given how many Wi-Fi devices are out there (I
just bought a new Mi-Fi at the weekend..&sigh&)

For us I know we have hostapd (for people using openSUSE as a wifi AP)
and wpa_supplicant (for clients) patches in the works