Re: [opensuse] No network of leap 42.3
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2017 13:03:58 +0200
Freek de Kruijf wrote:

Op maandag 9 oktober 2017 07:42:30 CEST schreef Per Jessen:
Dave Smith wrote:
I recently installed 42.3 on a second computer. This computer has
2
disks. One disk for Leap 42.3 and the other for Windows 10. The
install went very smooth (as usual) and I use grub to boot into my
disks. I was able to update 42.3 and noticed no issues. Today I
went
to use the machine and discovered I have no internet. Ifconfig
shows
I have no address assigned via dhcp. To eliminate a hardware issue
booted into Windows. Windows had internet connectivity. The
motherboard is an ASRock H97 Pro4 which uses the Intel gigabyte
ethernet chip, the same one used by the machine I am typing from
now (leap 42.2).

I then switched to a static ip to see if it is a dhcp issue. I
used
YAST to configure the static ip. Using wicked I was able to start
and
stop the network successfully. Ifconfig showed my static ip
address
assigned to eth0. Still no internet. lsmod shows e1000e is
loaded.

To have internet, you need a default route - with the static config,
can you ping the router or any other machine on your network?

My system consists of a NETGEAR ProSafe™ Gigabit 8 Port VPN
Firewall
FVS318G router attached to a cable modem. All devices are plugged
into the router which assigns ip addresses via dhcp during boot. I
have the two computers, a ps3, and a cisco wifi plugged into the
router. All are visible to the router and have internet access.
On the machine in question when I boot into windows the router
shows the
computer and assigned ip address(dhcp). When I boot into 42.3
nothing shows up on the router, dhcp or static ip.

That sounds like a config problem on your Leap423. Maybe post the
config here. /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0 ?

When you configure a static IP address, you also need to define the
route and the DNS servers in YaST.

Yes, that's why I asked about it above, but it seems more important to
figure out why dhcp isn't working.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.0°C)