Re: [opensuse] vlc and audio system
On 2017-10-09 00:09, ken wrote:
On 10/08/2017 06:11 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Thanks for your reply, Carlos.  Did you have to do anything out of the
ordinary to get them both working?
The same as everybody: install the multimedia stack from packman.

Are you using gnome3 or kde or something else?
XFCE, but it works with any desktop I tried, since many years.

Thanks again.  And good to hear.  Here's the reveal:  For the past
year-and-a-half I've been using CentOS7 on my laptop and having some
long-standing, intractable problems.  One is, as you might have guessed,
is that since installing vlc audio no longer works in many other of the
system's apps and I haven't been able to solve that.  Secondly, the
drivers for my wifi card require a higher kernel version than is
available in CentOS7.  So I'm looking to switch distros.  I like CentOS,
but it's limited by Red Hat and it seems they're not as concerned with
workstations as servers... which is fine... different sides for
different minds. Thanks again for the help window-shopping.  :)

Ah. You have not used openSUSE before. If that is so, it might explain
your problem. You have to switch your multimedia stack to packman.

Read this: *<http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php>*

<https://software.opensuse.org/codecs> - huh, forget this page: it is
broken, the contents do not match the link.

Instead, this one: <https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Multimedia>

Oh, no, it is devoid of content, what is going on?

Ok, this one: <https://en.opensuse.org/Concepts_multimedia>

And this one explains why you have to do all this (first link above):

*<https://en.opensuse.org/Restricted_formats>*

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.