Re: [opensuse] Starting different Firefox sessions with different profiles

Am 08.10.2017 um 13:29 schrieb Carlos E. R.:

Hi,

I can start Firefox in different sessions by using a different profile for each:

firefox  -P default &
firefox  -P g-lists &

For instance, I never login to google with my normal profile, so that even though they track me, they don't associate that tracking to an actual name.

I need to do that with Amazon, too: they have the nasty habit of emailing me about things I simply googled for.

But the problem is knowing later which window belongs to what profile. Like having a different color or tittle.

Do you have ideas for that?

- -- Cheers

    Carlos E. R.

As I work with a folder view desktop I have different icons to click for different browser profiles on my desktop, with the command "firefox -no-remote -P profilename".

-no-remote, so that I can have several browser windows of different profiles open at the same time.

The only disadvantage is that I cannot open a new window of an already open profile by clicking the icon again (it will say: is already open), but from within the browser window I can open as much windows (or tabs) of the same profile as I like.

To distinguish between the browser windows I have added them very different background images in the menu part (downloaded parts of firefox styles, IIRC). So it is always clear to me in which one I am.

Bookmarks, Histrory, Passwords, all is separated for each profile and thus easier to manage for me as they are topic specific. I have for general google search, one for specific google searches, had one for facebook (until they deleted me :-) ) have each one for some pages that are really nasty in tracking me, some for pages that require flash or permanent cookies. I also use different language settings and start pages, of course, in different profiles.

I have one "standard profile" that I actually do not use, but where I have all my settings, add-ons etc., so that, if I want to create a new separate profile (e.g. a new gmail address...) I have a profile to copy.

It's cool and gives me a good feeling :-)

https://www.patreon.com/danielbauer
http://www.daniel-bauer.com