Re: [opensuse] About relatime and lazytime
On 26/09/17 02:36 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Hi,

relatively recently, "lazytime" has been added as the default for mounts -
from man mount:

lazytime
Only update times (atime, mtime, ctime) on the
in-memory version of the file inode.

This mount option significantly reduces writes
to the inode table for workloads that perform
frequent random writes to preallocated files.

1. What is 'relatively' in the "relatively recently"?
2. This "added to mounts" is how? As part of the system call?
That would make it part of the kernel.
What version of the kernel are you talking about?

3. What, in your opinion, is "frequent random writes to preallocated files"?
I ask because in my opinion that means databases, as in updating fields or
rows. while I realise that Thunderbird and Firefox make use of small
SQLite3 databases, how useful is this to those of is who just use those file
systems for 'regular' stuff like word processing and the regular file
traffic: postfix, OpenOffice, gimp, or updating the myriad of small
configuration dot files in the home directory?

4. If a file is closed does that constitute its inode being "evicted from
memory" in this context? or is there some caching done on the principle
that you _might_ want to open it again soon?