Re: [opensuse] rootmail does not work, no matter what

On 26/09/2017 13:39, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Dave Plater <dplater.list@xxxxxxxxx> [09-26-17 01:03]:
No my root mail gets sent to my user. I was just trying to help
Stakanov. I'm not able to send mail as user to root because exim
specifically forbids it unless I override. I tested with rkhunter and
the mail arrives. Anyway I now understand system mail and could setup
mail on the console. If I'm ever without x I think I might be able to
ask for help on this list or boot into a rescue dvd which is most
probably easier.

no, x is not required for setting up mail. many still use text mode for
setup, I know I do. my servers do not have monitors attached, text is
much quicker/easier.

or perhaps you didn't really mean that.

I started with dos, in fact my first computer was a sharp mz80b it had fdos. I even manufactured printer cards for the shop I bought it from. That's what I started z80 programming on, I'm a hardware person by trade. Somebody once gave me two floppies with unix on and I sure wish I'd explored it more.
Yes I now feel confident that, with the help of man pages, I could send and receive to this list from a terminal. BTW my first use of the internet was from dos and there was no gui.
Dave P