Re: [opensuse] logrotate
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 10:01:51 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2017-09-16 17:35, Per Jessen wrote:
Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

15.09.2017 12:03, Per Jessen пишет:

there is also /var/spool/cron/tabs ...

Right, but from an admin perspective, I'm not so interested in the
user
tabs - except when backing up. In fact, I think they're in the
wrong place - they ought to be in ~/crontab (or something similar).

Now let's take a system with several thousands users with NFS
mounted home directories. Do you seriously suggest that crond must
scan all of them every minute to find out whether ~/crontab changed?

I did touch on NFS-mounted /home later that post, and I agree it is
not useful in that situation. OTOH, having user-specific data
outside /home can also be a bit of a pain.

But in the case of users cronjobs makes a lot of sense: all are in a
single directory, thus keeping track of which file has changed every
minute (cron does that) is easy to do. On the other hand, when one
such job runs, maybe the home is not mounted.

Keeping track of changes on the local filesystem is not a problem, cron
uses inotify. I don't think keeping user-specific settings
outside /home for that reason makes much sense. Anyway, I wasn't after
a prolonged debate, I only mentioned user cronjobs, because I've been
bitten more than once when installing a new machine, moving a user,
restoring a backup etc etc.

Per user systemd timers reside on home. How does systemd track the
situation? Well, I think systemd is not aware of a change unless you
tell it to read the files again, so it does not matter where they
reside. Of course, the mount must be active. I suppose it might also
mount the home automatically prior to running the job? No way the job
itself can do that.

I'm not sure what it is you need mounted (/home ?), but
(systemd-)automount can take care of it.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.9°C)