Re: [opensuse] logrotate
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2017 20:01:52 +0200
Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

16.09.2017 18:35, Per Jessen пишет:
Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

15.09.2017 12:03, Per Jessen пишет:

there is also /var/spool/cron/tabs ...

Right, but from an admin perspective, I'm not so interested in the
user
tabs - except when backing up. In fact, I think they're in the
wrong place - they ought to be in ~/crontab (or something similar).

Now let's take a system with several thousands users with NFS
mounted home directories. Do you seriously suggest that crond must
scan all of them every minute to find out whether ~/crontab changed?

I did touch on NFS-mounted /home later that post, and I agree it is
not useful in that situation. OTOH, having user-specific data
outside /home can also be a bit of a pain.

Arguably this is not "user specific data" but rather "system data with
fine grained access control".

Hmm, not sure about that one. I know that is how it is currently
maintained, but from a user perspective, the cronjobs are as specific
as are her email accounts.
One job I run from my user crontab is every 10min to update my email
signature with the current outdoor temperature. Not sure why anyone
would think that is system data :-)

To this extent one could say that NetworkManager system connection is
user data because user on local console is allowed to edit it by
appropriate policy kit configuration.

Good example.

Although distinction is rather blurry indeed.

Yeah.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.9°C)