Re: [opensuse] Reading LTO cartridge memory
On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Per Jessen wrote:

Paul Groves wrote:

I have read up about it and apparently you can read /write the data
by issuing SCSI commands. I would not have a clue how to do this.

look up CRCM2159.pdf from HP I would add a link to the file but I
cannot because the mail list refuses it.

Um, there's nothing that prevents links being added/sent, but with the
name, google also easily found it:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21407_01/en/CRCM2159/CRCM2159.pdf

From a quick browse of the above, I noticed the chip feature is referred
to as LTO-CM. I went and googled that and quickly found this:

https://github.com/scangeo/lto-cm

"Read and write an LTO tape's cartridge memory chip ".

It only reads/writes single attribute - 0803h "USER MEDIUM TEXT
LABEL". It can be used as example how to integrate handling of more
attributes; in particular barcode is attribute 0806h.

Someone may want to merge in tapeutil patches from
http://www.mesa.nl/pub/tapeutil/ (no idea about license issues) which
also display some additional log pages (which likely provide values
from MAM at the end).

But one should not forget that most "interesting" information in CM is
vendor specific, with little chances to implement. It is enough for
simple purposes like storing meaningful description or matching
barcode though.