Re: [opensuse] Reading LTO cartridge memory
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:01:20 -0400
On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 9:41 AM, Paul Groves <paul.groves.787@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does anyone have a clue how to read the cartridge memory from an LTO tape?
Surely there must exist a command to do such a thing.

I too have fantasized about reading that data myself in the past.

Every LTO cartridge (including cleaning cartridges) is said to have a
cartridge memory. And every LTO drive has a non-contract cartridge
memory reader.

I'm not aware of any way for the host server to ask the LTO drive for
info originating there, nor to provide data to write there.

I want to add into my script the ability to read the serial number /
cartridge usage to be included in my log files.

Also, how do I set the barcode tag on the cartridge? I would also like to do
this in a script.

I'm not sure what you're asking.

Do you have a tape library with a built-in barcode reader? If so, I
think normally you physically attach the barcodes, then when you load
the media, the library inventories the tapes you loaded by reading the
barcodes.

So, the barcode is a physical label you have to attach.

Greg