Re: [opensuse] "My Thinkpad, Nouveau and Me"

On 12/09/2017 08:57, Basil Chupin wrote:
I am the proud owner of a Thinkpad model T530 on which I boldly
installed Leap 42.3. The installation naturally installed the nouveau
driver for the graphics nVidia chip soldered onto the motherboard.

However, I want to install a proper nVidia driver to replace the
'nooovooo' driver but I am totally perplexed about which driver I should
use. I tried installing the latest 384.69 driver but somehow this did
not go down well (no hassles with installing it on the Desktop...) and
ended up having to re-install 42.3 from scratch.

The chip on the Thinkpad has mysterious numbering on it such as GF108M,
NVS 5400M and Ivybridge Mobile.

I have looked up 'giggle' for info but I only got more confused. I know
that there is one person on this list who is a guru re Thinkpads and I
would dearly love to hear from him re my "problem" or from anyone else
who may be of help to moi.

All assistance gratefully accepted.

BC

Use hwinfo --gfxcard to get the proper model number. Needs to be run as root. Use the nvidia website driver page to find out the driver number.
Regards
Dave P