Re: [opensuse] WD Green AV HD: rsync read errors mapping
On 2017-09-09 00:17, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 5:57 PM, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:

Modern drives now use "constant angular velocity". Which may mean that
declaring a drive as 5200rpm or 7000rpm is also a little meaningless :-)

I don't understand this. You mean they change rotational speed (rpm)
based on some criteria?

They do NOT change rotational speed.

They do change transfer rates. Track 0 is near the outer
circumference so you have a lot more data passing under the disk head
per revolution.

Transfer rates can drop in half by the time your reading from the
tracks at the end of the drive (near the center).

Makes sense. They either do that or adapt sector density, or both. My
guess is the later.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.