Re: [opensuse] WD Green AV HD: rsync read errors mapping
On 2017-09-08 02:06, Felix Miata wrote:

Don't forget to run "smartctl --test=long /dev/sdb".

And later make sure the smartd daemon is enabled to run weekly at least
the short test.

Arghhhh! 6+ days on this so far including 6.75 hours to restore, and now with
the hurricane almost on my doorstep I'm facing another lengthy process of
unknown length. How long is this supposed to take?

Smartctl man page is an abomination. It's so big I can't find anything about
background/foreground/progress. I tried

smartctl --test=long -t offline /dev/sdg

and it tells me it can only run one test at a time. How can I run it in
foreground and have it report progress?

I told you. It is printed above, don't go reading the man page now:

smartctl --test=long /dev/sdb

It runs in background. No, you don't make it run in foreground. No, the
computer doesn't run the test: the disk runs the test internally, using
its own CPU, RAM and ROM. The manufacturer defines the test, it is his code.

The command prints out how long it will take.

Example:

Telcontar:~ # smartctl --test=long /dev/sdc
smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [x86_64-linux-4.4.79-18.26-default] (SUSE RPM)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF OFFLINE IMMEDIATE AND SELF-TEST SECTION ===
Sending command: "Execute SMART Extended self-test routine immediately
in off-line mode".
Drive command "Execute SMART Extended self-test routine immediately in
off-line mode" successful.
Testing has begun.
Please wait 226 minutes for test to complete. <=================
Test will complete after Fri Sep 1 08:49:06 2017 <=============

Use smartctl -X to abort test.
Telcontar:~ #
Telcontar:~ # fdisk -l /dev/sdc
Disk /dev/sdc: 1.8 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors

Wait, your disk will take:

Total time to complete Offline
data collection: (40500) seconds.

you gave that info in your first post. Your disk is slow, that 675 minutes.

You can get the progress info by running "smartctl -a /dev/sdb", one
line in all that text says the percent of the test done. There is
another option that gives shorter info but I don't remember it.

And of course you can abort the test. I don't remember about retaking
the test from the same point.

If all you want is making a backup of the disk in a hurry, forget testing.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.