Re: [opensuse] Checking /
On 2017-09-06 12:25, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
If one needs to have / checked, does openSUSE (13.1...) support making
a file called /forcefsck so it happens on reboot?

It did, before systemd. With systemd, I do not know; you have to try.

We have a user with a system that is reporting an I/O error on
/var/log/messages. And the system is slow. At least KDE is slow.
Having eliminated the obvious (no or little disk space), and seeing no
process eating CPU time, and getting an I/O error when accessing the
end of /var/log/messages, I am considering checking if the root fs has
issues.

I would recommend boot using the 13.1 XFCE rescue system in an USB stick:

http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/discontinued/distribution/13.1/iso/openSUSE-13.1-Rescue-CD-x86_64.iso

You have to verify filesystem and disk surface, with smartctl.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.