[opensuse] Re: WD Green AV HD: rsync read errors mapping
On 2017-09-03 23:35, L A Walsh wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:
${DEITY} help us when we have to check out the half dozen or so 4T
drives for a RAID array!

----
I caught my RAID controller doing similar -- a patrol-read where it was
doing all of them in the container in parallel.

Carlos E. R. wrote:
I also have the theory of not throwing away my disks the first time they
have bad sectors. Allow remapping, then keep them under observation. If
there are no more bad sectors (after long test, perhaps full dd
writeover), I feel safe. If bad sectors keep appearing, then replace
fast.

----
I've had the opposite practice -- the first time a drive starts remapping --
replace it ASAP. Even if it is starting to fail, it will start to be slower
as more and more sectors are remapped and need to be have extra seeks.

You can't rely on files being contiguous anymore (even when the the Os
reports them as contiguous) because the disk will still report them as
contig to the OS.

Finally -- once a disk starts remapping, I'm almost certain that a
HW RAID controller will kick it out of an array because that disk won't
keep up with the other disks.

Well, if the number of bad sectors keep growing, I also kick the disk
out. I have disks in use that once developed a few bad sectors, but not
any more. I kept using them for several years and there were no more
incidents, till I retired them "because old age", or simply because they
are too small.

However, I don't use raid, the situation may be different there, because
of the timing issues you mention. But notice that if the disk continues
to grow bad sectors, I do not use it.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.