Re: [opensuse] WD Green AV HD: rsync read errors mapping
On 09/01/2017 08:55 AM, Wols Lists wrote:
Or am I simply describing that phenomenon, where writes get smudged and,
on the basis of "if you can't beat them join them" shingled disks
deliberately do exactly that.

This reminds me of the old daze when I used SMD rack-mounted
disks, maybe in the late 1980's. The process of reading/writing
sectors would, over time, cause them to wander around their
tracks. After a period of time, the sectors would start to overlap
themselves, leading to all kinds of chaos. The only solution was
to do a low-level format and restore the data from 9-track tapes.

As long as I'm reminiscing, I also remember open-platter HP disks in the
1970's that required a manual cleaning of the heads with alcohol
once every thirty-days. How far we've come! I just fired up a RAID 6
array of 24 10TB Seagate disks. They're working perfectly so far,
and they're not shingled! I'm getting about 1.9-GB/sec of continuous
write bandwidth.

Regards,
Lew