Re: [opensuse] Tar file Error - Urgent data recovery

On 01/09/17 11:41, Wols Lists wrote:
On 31/08/17 21:40, John Andersen wrote:
On 08/31/2017 12:33 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
But 9GB media invoke a second layer of recording media. As soon as I
started trying to put 7 or 8 GB of data on a DVD, my reliability rates
went in the toilet. I bought multiple different brands of drives and
media.
Yes, if you aren't buying bargain basement media. The double layer
disks from some vendors are pretty good. My failure rate with
the Verbatim have been less than 1 in 40 1 year after burning.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GHWRIK

Of course some of the early double layer drives sucked as well, so you
need quality in both places.

I just ordered a DVD drive back in the day and it came with DL as a
matter of course, so I guess it's pretty decent.

And so far, I've just used it to try to copy commercial DVDs, so my
failure rate is 100% but I think that's down to copy protection, not
drive or disk quality.

Cheers,
Wol

I have managed to backup some of my commercial DVDs. Even with my cheap-o £8.50 DVD drive.

All I had to do was install all of the media codecs from packman and libdvdcss2. Test they play in VLC.

Then rip using k3b.

Although some DVDs had lines across them when things were moving. Perhaps an interlace problem?
I see this all the time in VLC player but have never managed to solve it.