Re: [opensuse] Mapping and re-mapping Keyboard Keys
On Wednesday, 28 June 2017 0:20:43 ACST Paul Groves wrote:

[...]
put them in ~/.xmodmap and they will be read when <user> logs in, iiuc.

I just booted to opensuse and that works but in ubuntu it doesn't.
Ubuntu apparently uses xkb and ignores the ~./xmodmap file

Anyway as I said If found the Launch keycodes which work fine so it
solves that problem but I need to run the script with all the setkeycode
commands at boot

I tried the usual /etc/init.d
/etc/init.d/rc.local
/etc/rc.local

A few places online say ubuntu no longer uses rc.local ans uses
/etc/rc#.d where # is the runlevel, So i ran the command runlevel which
told me normal boot is runlevel 5

So I put my script in /etc/rc5.d and gave it execute permissions, reboot
and it didn't run :(

Where on earth am I supposed to put this script to run at boot? If I
drop to tty2 and run it manually it works but if I run it under X or
from cron it cannot change key maps.

You don’t put scripts in the rcX.d directories - put them in /etc/init.d, then
(on Ubuntu) use update-rc.d to create the symlinks in the appropriate rcX.d
directories. You’ll need to have all the correct headers in the file
(required-start, required-stop, runlevels etc), so look at existing init.d
scripts and use them as a template.

Bear in mind that debian/Ubuntu has now moved to systemd, and sysvinit is now
deprecated (although lots of packages still use init scripts). Instead of
writing an init script, you could write a systemd unit file and have systemd
execute the script. The final result should be the same, but you’re “future
proofing” it by not relying on a deprecated subsystem.

HTH.
Rodney.